Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Cut & Run Review

Cut & Run

Book I

by Abigail Roux and Madeleine Urban

Genre: LGBT Contemporary Romance
Heat Level: HOT
Stars: 3/5
Abigail Roux and Madeleine Urban created a wonderful story that was an enjoyable read, albeit at moments taxing. Cut & Run is the story of Ty Grady and Zane Garrett, two FBI detectives that have everything to lose and even more to gain. They’re two opposites, as volatile as a hurricane and a volcano. When they’re thrown together things have a tendency to -- literally and figuratively – explode.  In order to catch a cryptic serial killer they’ll have to set aside not only their personal problems but also their hatred for one another and figure out how to work as a team.

I’d like to say its good cop and bad cop, but there wasn’t much of a vibe. Both Ty and Zane put their own twist on the bad cop genre. While Ty embraces it, Zane is reluctant at first. About halfway through he manages to give into his vices and becomes his own version of a bad cop.

My biggest issue with Cut & Run was the chemistry between Ty and Zane. While they both have a physical attraction to one another that is beyond steamy, they have a terrible emotional connection throughout a chunk of the story. They’re always bickering, to the point that it actually gets old. I’m one for heavy drama and angst, but the fights between them seemed at moments trite and boring, even random at moments. They’d be doing something with the case and out of nowhere one of them would be set off. I thought things would taper off after things literally get physical (in the bad way) between Ty and Zane, but it lasted all the way up to the end.

Sometimes their personal drama seemed to trump the case. There were also moments where the case dragged on and I was ready for some kind of progression. I did have to set it down a few times because I got agitated myself with them!

Despite things, I did care for them (Ty more than Zane) so I wanted to see the story through. The mystery was good. I figured it out about a quarter of the way through, but they had managed to make me second guess myself more than once so I was constantly second guessing myself.

I loved, absolutely loved, how they swapped positions. They both displayed dominate and submissive personalities, so to see them display that in the bedroom was great. When Ty dominated Zane I got chills. I thought Ty might be the more submissive one, but I found that I liked Zane bottoming.

All together I recommend picking up Cut & Run and giving it a read. Once you read it you’ll be hooked. I’ll definitely be picking up the next book in the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment